GIScience / Data Science
Liping's Research Interests
Liping is very interested in Geographic Information Science (GIScience) and especially interested in applying visual analytics and machine/deep learning techniques to tackling interesting GIScience problems. Liping's popular blog about machine/deep learning provides useful machine/deep learning resources for GIScience and Data Science.
Her current main research at Penn State, working with Prof. Alan MacEachren and Prof. Guido Cervone, focuses on minding big geospatial data (e.g., social media image and text) using machine learning and deep learning techniques, with GPU and parallel computing, to tackle GIS research problems such as data fusion with social media and aid for damage assessement during emergencies.
Liping's research experience and programming skills gained from her PhD and previous postdoctoral research have paved the
way for her current research in machine learning, deep learning, big data and high performance computing.
- Liping received her B.S. (2006) and M.S. (2009) in GIS in China, and received her PhD (2015) in Spatial Information Science and Engineering from the University of Maine (Orono) in the School of Computing and Information Science.
- During her undergraduate and graduate years, her interest focused on GIS and computer science knowledge, techniques and skills. Apart from GIS courses, she had also taken many computer science courses, such as programming, data structures and algorithms, database and database management system (DBMS), computer graphics and image processing, computer network technology, and information systems software engineering.
- During her PhD study, she worked with her advisor Prof. Michael Worboys for the NSF project, Information Integration and Human Interaction for Indoor and Outdoor Spaces. Before joining the GeoVISTA Center at Pennsylvania State University, Liping worked on the NSF project, Perception of Indoor Scene Layouts by Machines and Visually Impaired Users, for her postdoctoral research with Prof. Kate Beard.
Liping's current research interests include:
- Applying computer science and data science techniques (e.g, machine learning and deep learning, big data and high performance computing including GPU and parallel computing) to tackling GIScience problems;
- Computational algorithms related to the solutions to geospatial problems;
- Indoor space and indoor navigation.